The Obstetrics and Gynecology residency is a four-year, 24-resident program, fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Six first-year postgraduate positions are offered each year through the National Resident Matching Program (NBME). Applications for the program are accepted only through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
The residency is designed to provide outstanding clinical and didactic education, meeting all requirements expected of ACGME-approved programs. Our graduating residents are fully prepared for their eventual certification by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (ABOG) through its written and oral certifying examinations. We strive to produce strong clinicians who will provide comprehensive, compassionate care, utilizing state-of-the-art technology, while also being advocates locally and nationally for women’s health care.
Why Choose Beaumont?
- Our residents receive strong educational training in all areas of Obstetrics and Gynecology, including minimally-invasive and robotic surgery.
- Our program has excellent subspecialty support and our residents are able to work one-on-one with their attending physicians on their subspecialty rotations.
- We are proud to say our graduates have had a 100% board passage rate for over the past decade.
- Our faculty and private physicians are committed to resident education, and residents are welcomed participants in 100% of patient care.
- The program is accredited by the ACGME, and has been awarded the maximum accreditation for the past several cycles.
- Our program allows residents to learn the role of a general obstetrician and gynecologist through their continuity clinic, where they see their own patients within a six-member team. This is patterned after a group practice model. Our residents learn how to work as a team to provide excellent patient care, and how to support each other’s practice.
- Our patients represent a diverse population from the surrounding urban and suburban Detroit communities, including the insured, as well as, the underinsured and uninsured.
- Our state-of-the-art, newly remodeled Labor & Delivery Center provides a comfortable supportive setting to practice Obstetrics. With nearly 6,000 deliveries per year, residents are exposed to a full range of complicated obstetrical conditions while working one-on-one with our Maternal-Fetal medicine specialists to manage these conditions.
- Our brand new Karmanos Natural Birth Center provides residents the opportunity to learn and practice normal, low-risk obstetrics with a focus on natural birth techniques.
- Our residents learn the most advanced minimally-invasive and robotic gynecologic procedures from excellent gynecologic surgeons, with access to the newest DaVinci robotic surgery systems as well as dedicated simulation equipment on which to practice their surgical skills.
- The Applebaum Simulation Learning Institute provides educational opportunities in both gynecologic surgery as well as obstetric simulation. Every July, our intern class spends their first week in the Simulation Learning Institute, learning critical skills needed to function on L&D and in the OR’s during their first few months.
- Residents gain experience in obstetrical ultrasound in the top-notch Beaumont Fetal Imaging Center.
- Residents are highly sought after for employment opportunities in the area after graduation.
- All faculty are board-certified and many are fellowship-trained.
- The communities surrounding Beaumont – Royal Oak are safe, thriving, growing areas with many excellent dining and cultural opportunities.
For more information, please call 248-551-0417.