The goals of the fellowship are to provide progressive, supervised clinical and technical experience in brachytherapy. Specific objectives include:
- Expand current knowledge of the indications for and use of permanent or temporary implants for various anatomical sites (e.g. head and neck, breast, gynecologic, sarcoma, etc.).
- Develop technical skills in performing permanent or temporary implants for multiple anatomic sites.
- Develop the knowledge and skills needed to perform both Low Dose Rate and High Dose Rate brachytherapy.
- Learn indications, and develop skills for the various modes of delivery of intra-operative radiation therapy.
- Develop skills in the areas of brachytherapy dosimetry, treatment planning and dose specification.
- Expand knowledge of specific tissue tolerances of the various anatomic structures affected by brachytherapy.
- Expand knowledge of the treatment of radiation complications which relate to brachytherapy.
- Expand knowledge of the radiobiology of brachytherapy.